OLD NAVY COMRADES KENYA WELFARE THE CONSTITUTION 2020
We, the members of OLD NAVY COMRADES KENYA WELFARE aspire to cushion one another in case of a need with a shared understanding. All members of the welfare will be treated equally and with decorum. OLD NAVY COMRADES KENYA WELFARE is for the common good of her members and all decisions
Will be based on objective and democratic ideals as enshrined in this constitution.
- To enable members and their families access financial aid where the Principal member, his/her spouse, biological children and parents are considered when death occurs.
- To improve members’ cohesion and social welfare.
ARTICLE 1: NAME
The name of the welfare shall be OLD NAVY COMRADES KENYA In this constitution referred to as “THE WELFARE”
ARTICLE 2: MEMBERSHIP
- Membership is voluntary and opens to all provided that;
- He/she is an adult Kenyan citizen in sound state of mind.
- He/she must be a RETIRED NAVY SERVICE MEMBER OR COMMISSIONED OFFICER
iii. Non Refundable Registration fees of Ksh500 and monthly contribution of Ksh100.
- Recruitment of new members shall be based on the welfare’s need.
ARTIC LE 3 ; MEMBERS’ RIGHTS AND DUTI ES
Subject to the provisions of this constitution, members shall be obligated to the following;
- Offer themselves for elections in any position as provided by this Constitution (If Any) provided;
- He/she has been a member for a period not less than one year.
- He/she must have participated in at least the last three consecutive bereavement activities.
- Participate in the voting process during elections (If Any)
- Participate in the welfare activities.
- Promote the association’s objectives and interests.
- Lawfully perform duties assigned as per this constitution.
ARTICLE 4; TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIP
- A member who wishes to terminate his/her membership shall notify the Secretary, subject to confirmation by the Executive Committee within a period not exceeding two weeks.
- Any person who skips 3 (three) consecutive bereavement contributions shall cease to be a member of the Welfare upon deliberation by the executive committee. The executive committee shall then move ahead and remove him/her from the welfare without further prior notice.
- Any member affected by Article 4 Sub Article (b) shall only be allowed to rejoin the association after 6 months hence, Article 7 Sub Article (a) shall apply.
- After termination of membership no claim for refund whatsoever of previous contributions made by the affected member shall be entertained
- Upon bereavement of the member, upon which the administrator(s) of WhatsApp will remove name after all monies have been dispense to beneficiaries by the treasurer.
ARTICLE 5; BEREAVEMENT
- In the event that a member is bereaved, he/she shall notify the chairperson and/or secretary, who will immediately convene an Executive Committee Meeting to determine the member’s eligibility for assistance hence publish a conclusive information to members on the official WhatsApp and SMS platforms.
- In the event that a principal member passes on, if and when the chair and Secretary are not aware, they shall be notified by any member who will be the source of information.
- The Executive committee shall nominate;
- Under normal circumstances, 1 (one) representative to accompany the funeral procession, establish and provide travel and accommodation allowance from the proceeds of contribution. The representative shall prepare and deliver a comprehensive report (either written or verbal) on the funeral activities and authenticity of the bereavement.
- In the event of a principal member’s demise, 2 (two) representatives (one office bearer and one member) to accompany the funeral procession, establish and provide accommodation expenses from the proceeds of contribution. The representatives shall prepare and deliver a comprehensive report (either written or verbal) on the funeral activities and authenticity of the bereavement.
Accommodation in Article 5 Sub Article (c) Clause (i) and (ii) is not applicable to representatives who hail from the bereaved locality.
ARTICLE 6; ADMINISTRATION OF FINANCE
- All the Welfare’s finance shall be administrated by an elected treasurer, under the ward of the executive committee.
- All monies shall be paid only to the treasurer either by cash or M-pesa and subsequently published on the WhatsApp platform periodically as contribution progresses.
- Contributions must be done in one operation within the 5 (five) day’s deadline, and proceeds handed over to the beneficiary on the 6th day.
- The welfare shall not be liable for money sent directly to the beneficiary without passing through the treasurer.
- Office running liquidity shall be obtained from the bereavement proceeds and accounted for by the treasurer.
- A member who skips any bereavement participation and/or contribution shall not be considered for financial assistance in the event that he/she is bereaved, unless he/she participates in the next three consecutive bereavement contributions.
- For couples and/or siblings in the association or, a member having been bereaved of multiple persons, the scenario shall be handled as a common bereavement and the proceeds shall be handed as a family.
ARTICLE 7; CONTRIBUTIONS
- A new member henceforth shall participate in the next 3 (three) consecutive bereavement contributions or stay in the association for 4(four) consecutive months, to gain eligibility for financial assistance when bereaved. This also applies to a new (senior) member who has passed on.
- A member who fakes a bereavement scenario for financial gain shall be investigated by the Executive Committee. This, if proved beyond reasonable doubt to be guilty as alleged, the culprit together with collaborators/accomplices shall be expelled from the association never to be readmitted whatsoever and subsequently, disciplinary action taken by the authority.
- Contributions shall be done as follows (Nuclear family members only):
- Principal member Minimum of Kshs.500.00
- Member’s spouse…………..…Minimum of Kshs. 300.00
iii. Member’s biological parents…Minimum of Kshs. 200.00
- Member’s children…………………………………200.00
- Article 7 Sub Article (c) is subject to review in accordance as per bio data while registering as a member) with the prevailing economic/inflation situation in a Special General Meeting and this shall be done by a simple majority of members present.
- If for any reason a beneficiary may not be able to avail himself/herself to receive the proceeds, funds shall be transferred to him/her via M-pesa and transaction proof posted on the official WhatsApp platform.
ARTICLE 8; DECORUM
- OLD NAVY COMRADES KENYA WELFARE is known for its tradition, propriety and decorum. Excessive fanatical feelings and obscene content either in our meetings, social gatherings and/or on official WhatsApp patform shall not be tolerated. This shall attract a penalty that will be prescribed by the executive committee as desired and may amount to Permanent removal from the official WhatsApp platform.
- The official WhatsApp administration shall strictly be the following;
ARTICLE 9; OFFICE BEARERS
- This shall consist;
- The Chairperson.
- The Secretary.
iii. The Treasurer.
All of whom shall be paid-in members of the welfare and elected at the AGM.
- All office bearers shall hold a 2(two) year term position and may be reelected if members so wish. Immediately after elections, there shall be a 2(two) weeks handing over/taking over transition period between the incoming and outgoing office bearers.
- Any office bearer who ceases to be a member shall also cease to be an office bearer thereof.
- An office bearer may be removed from office as stipulated in Article 5 (b) and vacancy thus created be filled through a by-election.
ARTICLE 10; RESPONSIBILITIES OF OFFICE BEARERS
- Unless hindered by illness or other sufficient cause, preside over all meetings of the Executive Committee and AGMs.
- Represent the welfare in any function it may be invited to.
iii. Perform any other duties prescribed by members.
- Sign useful documents on behalf of the welfare.
The secretary shall;
- Deal with the welfare’s correspondences.
- Take, prepare and keep minutes of the meetings, preserving them for future reference.
iii. Issue notices of convening all meetings.
- Prepare meeting agenda in consultation with the chairperson.
- Maintain the membership list.
- Act as the welfare’s spokesperson as communicated by the chairperson.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by members.
The treasurer shall;
- Receive and disburse all contribution proceeds under directive of the Executive Committee and publish proof of transaction.
- Ensure that all account records are well kept, preserved and availed for auditing by independent persons nominated by members at any given time.
iii. Prepare and avail the financial statements/reports when needed.
- Perform any other duties that may be prescribed by the chairperson.
ATICLE 11; THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEER
- The Executive Committee consists all the office bearers elected at the AGM.
- They shall meet at such times and places as they shall resolve at least once quarterly.
- Any casual vacancy of any member of the Executive Committee caused by death, resignation or removal from office shall be filled through a resolution by a Special General Meeting of the welfare. The executive committee shall therefore nominate one of their own to take over and double up on an acting capacity for a period not exceeding three months pending a by election.
- The Executive Committee shall authorize the disbursement of all the contribution proceeds to the beneficiary.
ARTICLE 12; GENERAL MEETING
There shall only be;
- Annual General Meeting.
- Special General Meeting.
- ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- Shall be held not later than 31st December each year. Notice of the AGM and the agenda shall be published to members at least fourteen days beforehand.
- The agenda shall among other things, consist the following;
- Confirmation of minutes of the previous meeting.
- Financial report
- AOB on the Chairperson’s approval in the interest of time.
- SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING
A Special General Meeting may be convened for any specific purpose by the executive committee. This meeting may also be convened on request by a Member/ members upon issuing a notice to the Executive Committee and must be convened within fourteen days from the date of notice.
ARTICLE 13; PROCEDURE DURING MEETINGS
- All meetings of the welfare shall be presided over by the chairperson or the secretary in absence of the chairperson.
- The chair shall at his discretion, limit the number of contributors to a motion in the interest of time and other unspecified factors that may arise.
- Resolutions shall be arrived at by majority votes (show of hands). In case of a tie in votes, the chair or the person sitting on his behalf, shall cast the deciding vote.
ARTICLE 14; CONSTITUTIONAL AMMENDMENT
- Constitutional amendments shall be passed by at least two thirds majority of bona fide members.
- Should Article 14 Sub Article (a) fail due to lack of quorum, second amendment sitting shall be done after 30 days and the amendments shall be passed by at least half majority of bona fide members.
- Should Article 14 Sub Article (b) fail due to lack of quorum, third amendment sitting shall be done after 14 days. and the amendments shall be passed by at least 100 members.
- Any proposal for amendment shall be submitted to the secretary and included in the agenda for a special general meeting.
ARTICLE 15; DISSOLUTION
The welfare shall be dissolved at a general meeting by a vote of two thirds of bona fide members of the welfare. If no such quorum will be obtained, the proposal for dissolution shall be deferred to the next general meeting which must be held in a month’s time. The quorum for the second general dissolution meeting shall be a half of the bona fide members.
CONSTITUTION COMMITTEE OF EXPERTS
Formed to formulate the constitution to regulate and guide operations.